Word Smith: Holy Moses
Interjection in English
Addressing the people of Israel, Moses had prophesied:
“A profit like me will the Lord your God, raise up for you from among your own kinsmen; to him you shall listen.” (Dt 18:15)
The Evangelists, especially Matthew, were keen to underscore the fact that Jesus was truly the new Moses whose coming had been foretold by Moses himself. Pierre-Marie Dumont  writes about Jesus as the new Moses. As you can see from the following recitation, the similarities are striking:
- Moses and Jesus were both born during the reign of an iniquitous king; both escaped a massacre of infants; both fasted for forty days in the desert before undertaking their mission.
- As a first sign, Moses transformed water into blood; Jesus changed water into wine, the sign of his blood poured out for us.
- Moses established twelve leaders of Israel and seventy elders; Jesus chose twelve Apostles and seventy disciples.
- Moses received the Law on a mountain; Jesus proclaimed the new and eternal Law on a mountain. Moses fed his people with manna; Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes.
- Moses liberated the Hebrews from slavery; Jesus freed humanity from sin.
- Moses victoriously crossed the Red Sea with all of his people; Jesus victoriously crossed through death with all humanity.
 Dumont, Pierre-Marie, “Jesus, the New Moses,” in The Magnificat Vol. 16, No. 13, March 2018.